Get the full recipe here:
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
Butter, for greasing
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
3 tbsp. coffee
6 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
FOR THE FILLING
1 1/2 c. heavy or whipping cream
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
FOR THE GANACHE
2 c. chocolate chips
1 c. heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350° and position rack to the bottom half. Grease a 10”-x-15” rimmed baking sheet with butter then line with parchment paper that extends up the short sides one inch.
2. Combine chocolate chips and coffee in a medium bowl. Microwave at 50% power in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is just melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat egg yolk until pale and creamy. Add sugar gradually and keep beating until yolks are pale and ribbony. Gently fold in the chocolate.
4. In a separate large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites with salt until they hold stiff peaks. Add 1/4 of egg white mixture into the chocolate-yolk mixture and gently fold together until the chocolate is lightened. Fold the remaining whites into the chocolate mixture until evenly combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top to create an even layer. Bake until the cake feels dry to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. (It will be very soft and may seem a little underbaked!)
5. Transfer pan to a cooling rack. Cover top with 2 layers of damp paper towels (or a light damp kitchen towel) and let stand 10 minutes, then carefully remove towels. Loosen edges of the cake with a sharp knife. Sift cocoa powder over top of cake layer and overlap 2 layers of wax paper (or a clean kitchen towel) lengthwise over cake. Place a baking sheet over paper and invert cake onto it, gently peeling off parchment paper lining.
6. Roll the cake from short end to short end, using the wax paper or the towel underneath to help lift and roll the cake. Let cool completely, encased in towel or wax paper.
7. When the cake is cool, make whipped cream filling: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, combine heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks hold.
8. Carefully unroll cooled cake and spread whipped filling over the entire cake. Gently use waxed or parchment paper once again to reroll cake. Place on serving platter, seam side down. Place in refrigerator while you make ganache.
9. Place chocolate chips in a medium, heatproof bowl and set aside. Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. When bubbles begin to break the surface around the edges of the pan, turn off the heat. Pour the hot cream over chocolate chips. Let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk constantly until the sauce is smooth. Pour the ganache over the rolled cake and refrigerate until the ganache sets, about 15 minutes.
10. Slice and serve cold.
SUBSCRIBE to delish:
FOLLOW for more #DELISH!