Russian Napoleon cake (Торт Наполеон) – if you are not familiar with this cake, Napoleon cake is Russian style Mille feuille or cremeschnitte. 12 layers of puff pastry and delicious custard.
More Cake Recipes:
Medovik – Russian Honey Cake:
Strawberry Mousse Mirror Glaze Cake:
Peanut Butter Cheesecake:
No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake:
For the dough:
5½ cups (690g) Flour
1¾ cup (400g) Cold butter, cubed
200ml Ice water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
For the cream:
6 Egg yolks
1/3 cup (43g) cornstarch
3 cups (720ml) Milk
1 cup (230g) butter
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp (175g) Sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
1. Make the dough: In a small bowl whisk eggs, water, vodka vinegar and salt. Set aside.
2. Place the flour, salt, and butter into a food processor and pulse until crumbs are formed. Transfer to a large bowl, add wet ingredients, mix until dough forms. Transfer to a lightly floured surface, knead with your hands until smooth. Divide into 10-12 equal parts, shape into balls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile make the cream: in a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch. Whisk until smooth and set aside. In a medium saucepan heat milk, stirring occasionally, until hot but not boiling. Turn the heat off. Temper the eggs: gradually add the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. When combined, pour the mixture back to the saucepan, heat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thickens, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla extract, stir until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool completely.
4. Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
5. On a parchment paper, roll each ball into very thin layer, trim the rolled dough using a 8-Inch (20 cm) cake ring/cake pan. Pierce each layer with a fork. Leave the leftovers on the tray.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden. Repeat with the remaining dough. You can bake 2 layers at the time (on one tray only). Let cool to room temperature. Keep the leftover dough for later.
7. Once the cake layers are cooled you can assemble the cake. Spread about 3 tablespoons of cream on one layer, Stack the second layer on top and repeat until you have 12 layers. Spread extra cream on top and sides.
8. Place the leftover dough into a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs.
9. Spread cake crumbs on top and sides of the cake.
10. Refrigerate the cake overnight.
• If your food processor large enough, make the dough in one batch, if not, divide the ingredients into half and prepare the dough crumbs in two batches.
• If you don’t have a food processor, you can make the dough by hand.
• You can make less than 12 layers.
Support The Cooking Foodie! Check out my Patreon at – you can get access to special content, behind the scenes photos, videos and more cool stuff!
Join to The Cooking Foodie YouTube membership: